Safety Tips to Help Southeast Missouri Avoid Pedestrian Accidents on Halloween in Cape Girardeau, Missouri
Halloween night has been known to have an increased number pedestrian accidents. Everyone is rushing around to have fun and collect goodies and get to the party and they can forget to pay attention to normal traffic safety rules. In order to keep everyone safer in southeast Missouri, here are some safety tips for the big night.
- Be on the lookout on Halloween night. There will be spooks, space adventurers, super heroes, robots, witches, and more on foot and riding bicycles in areas where you may not normally see anybody.
- Remember these little creatures will be excited and preoccupied. Many are trying to get to as many houses as they can before they have to turn back into children and head home. They may forget to stop, listen, and look both ways before they cross the street.
- Be particularly alert along the side of the street and around parked cars. Trick-or-treaters have been known to suddenly dart into traffic from between parked cars or travel in large bunches spilling over into a traffic lane.
- Watch for small ghosts, vampires, pirates, or Disney characters walking in the street, especially if there are no sidewalks in the neighborhood.
- Allow extra time if you are traveling on Halloween night, expect surprises and drive slower in preparation. Give the ghouls and monsters extra time to cross the street and look for more running to catch their friends.
- Be aware that costumes may hamper their ability to see and hear you and to get out of the way quickly.