With the price of fuel still so high, many people are seeking out more economical forms of transportation: more and more Missourians are relying on motorcycles as a regular mode of travel, especially since the weather has been so unseasonably warm this year. Our Cape Girardeau motorcycle accident lawyers want to discuss some of the common causes of motorcycle accidents in southeast Missouri.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents:
• Failure to yield or encroaching on a motorcyclist's right of way
• Lack of riding skills
• Failure to notice a motorcycle
• Failure to appreciate the blind spots for other cars, trucks, buses, and large trucks
• Failure to follow speed limits and other traffic laws
• Lack of stability provided by two-wheel configuration
• Failure to appreciate the abilities of a motorcycle such as size, speed, acceleration abilities and stopping distances
It's crucial that all drivers are mindful of the differences between a motorcycle and other motor vehicles, as they create additional risks for a motorcyclists. The simple difference in size makes a motorcycle easy to miss. To avoid the common causes of motorcycle accidents, riders should take extra precautions: above all, never assume a car "sees" you or is aware of your location.
Tips to Help Prevent Missouri Motorcycle Accidents
• Attend a motorcycle rider training course
• Practice awareness and good defensive driving techniques
• Anticipate what might happen if. . .
• Always check rearview mirrors before changing lanes or stopping
• Ride more cautiously in heavy traffic or inclement weather
• Never operate a motorcycle without the proper motorcycle operator's license
• Drive within your skill set and experience abilities
• Read through your owner's manual to stay familiar with your bike's capabilities
• Wear the right protective clothing to minimize injury if the worst does happen